By Barbara Day, M.S., R.D., C.N.
This yummy dessert will make an excellent Valentine’s Chocolate Dessert for your sweetie and you, too. It’s high in fiber and antioxidants, with lots of flavenoids. Plus it’s loaded with Vitamin C. But the most important ingredient: DARK CHOCOLATE. Yum!
Nutritional Information Per Serving: 368 calories, 9 grams protein, 15 grams of fat, 55 grams of CHO, 10 grams of fiber, 18 mg sodium.
Preparation Time: 10 minutes. Cook time: 40 minutes.
- 2 12-ounce bags frozen unsweetened mixed berries (5 cups) which include strawberries, blackberries, raspberries and blueberries or can use berries of choice
- 2 Tbsp. cornstarch
- 2 Tbsp. honey
- 1 cup old fashioned rolled oats
- 1/3 cup wheat germ
- 2 tbsp ground flaxseed
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup chopped walnuts or almonds
- 12 Dove dark chocolate pieces
- 2 tbsp Light Cool Whip per serving or can substitute low fat vanilla yogurt
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a bowl, mix berries with cornstarch and put in an 8″x8″ glass baking dish. In a small bowl, combine the honey, rolled oats, wheat germ, brown sugar, cinnamon and nuts. Spread over the berry mixture and bake for 30 minutes. Remove and top evenly with chocolate broken pieces and return to oven for 10 minutes. Serve with Cool Whip or vanilla low fat yogurt.
- Frozen mixed berries
- Rolled oats
- Wheat germ
- Brown sugar
- Dove dark chocolate pieces
- Light Cool Whip
Barbara Day, M.S., R.D., C.N, is a registered dietitian who has been teaching healthy lifestyles strategies to consumers for over 35+ years.
Image from: www.simplyrecipes.com.