TRIPLE CROWN HERO AMERICAN PHAROAH TO PARADE AT CHURCHILL DOWNS BEFORE FANS AT SATURDAY NIGHT’S “DOWNS AFTER DARK”
Thrilling Racing Meets Nightlife Event to Feature Stephen Foster Handicap and Possible Spot in $5 Million Breeders’ Cup Classic
The best party in town this Saturday night just got a lot better. Fans will be able to cheer Triple Crown winner American Pharoah in person as he parades on the track and in the Paddock at “Downs After Dark” presented by Stella Artois and Finlandia Vodka. The evening also will highlight the annual Kentucky Derby Trophy presentation to American Pharoah’s winning jockey Victor Espinoza, Hall of Fame trainer Bob Baffert and owner and breeder Amhed Zayat.
In addition to celebrating American Pharoah’s historic win, guests will enjoy a nightclub atmosphere, live music by The Pass, silk aerialist performances, specialty cocktails and 11 live races, including four stakes races. Bet or No Bet presented by Thorntons will give one lucky fan the chance to wager $4,000 to win on the horse of their choice. The evening’s theme is “White Party” so guests are encouraged to wear their best summer whites.
The night’s racing will feature two exciting Breeders’ Cup Challenge Series Win & You’re In™ stakes to earn starting spots in the 2015 Breeders’ Cup World Championships in October at Keeneland. The winner of the $500,000 Stephen Foster Handicap Presented by GE (Grade I), one of the most important races for older horses, will earn a spot in the $5 million Breeders’ Cup Classic (GI) and the winner of the $200,000 Fleur de Lis Handicap Presented by Thorntons (GII) will earn a spot in the $2 million Breeders’ Cup Distaff (GI). Saturday’s stakes races also include the $100,000 Matt Winn (GIII) and the $100,000 Regret (GIII).
Tickets are still available for the new Courtyard, where fans 21 and over can see the action up close along the track’s homestretch.
WHEN: Saturday Night, June 13
- Gates open at 5 p.m., first race at 6 p.m., last race at 11:10 p.m. and on-track party continues until midnight
- American Pharoah paraded after Race 5 at approximately 8:10 p.m. * subject to change
- Engraved Kentucky Derby Trophy presentation after Race 6 around 8:30 p.m. * subject to change
- Live Music by The Pass in the Plaza begins at 7:50 p.m.
- Silk Aerialist performances take place in the Aristides Garden before Races 2-7
- “Breeders’ Cup Challenge Series: Win and You’re In” airs on NBCSN from 8-10 p.m.
- Horse Racing Radio Network (HRRN) coverage airs on Sirius channel 92 from 8-10 p.m.