Louisville Celebrates the Old Fashioned
LOUISVILLE, Ky. (May 31, 2019) – Kicking off on Kentucky’s birthday last Friday, Louisville’s official cocktail – the Old Fashioned – will be celebrated for two straight weeks (a fortnight) with festivities culminating on National Bourbon Day on June 14.
This June marks the fifth anniversary of Mayor Greg Fischer proclaiming the spirited Bourbon drink as the city’s official cocktail.
Here are some ways to participate in the Old Fashioned Fortnight celebration:
- The Kentucky Bourbon Affair, billed as the “Ultimate Bourbon Fantasy Camp,” takes place June 4-8 at various locations in Louisville and throughout the state. The five-day event boasts 45 unique Bourbon experiences, including going behind-the-scenes at the world’s most iconic Bourbon distilleries, mingling with master distillers, sampling rare Bourbons and hand picking a private barrel selection. For more details, including pricing for specific events: KyBourbonAffair.com.
- Bourbon by the Bridge – This premier tasting event, which takes place by the 2nd Street Bridge on June 8 from 5 to 8 p.m., includes Bourbon pours and cocktails from several distilleries, along with heavy hors d’oeuvres and desserts. Attendees will also receive a commemorative Old Fashioned glass. Tickets are $75 and proceeds benefit the Court Appointed Special Advocates (CASA).
- Looking at Louisville Whiskey Walking Tour – Check out key spots showcasing Louisville’s unique Bourbon heritage on this 10-block trek on foot through downtown Louisville. This free tour, held June 12 at 10:30 a.m., starts at the Louisville Visitor Center, 301 S. 4th St., and lasts between 75 to 90 minutes. Space is limited. Call 502.379.6109 to reserve a spot.
- The Bar Belle’s Urban Bourbon Trail Happy Hour – Insider Louisville’s Culture Editor, Sara Havens – aka The Bar Belle – will host a happy hour at Garage Bar (one of the stops on Louisville’s Urban Bourbon Trail®) to celebrate Old Fashioned Fortnight. It’s under way June 13 from 5 to 7 p.m.
- The Louisville Visitor Center (301 S. Fourth St.) will celebrate National Bourbon Day on June 14 with a special event from noon to 2 p.m. Some of the city’s iconic attractions, including the Frazier History Museum (home of the Kentucky Bourbon Trail® Welcome Center) and Mint Julep Tours will be on hand to celebrate the Old Fashioned.
- Win Two Tickets to Bourbon & Beyond – While you’re celebrating Old Fashioned Fortnight, post about it on social media for a chance to win two tickets to the 2019 festival, held Sept. 20-22, and featuring performances by the Foo Fighters, John Fogerty, Robert Plant and the Sensational Space Shifters, Daryl Hall & John Oates, Zac Brown Band and ZZ Top.
Guidelines to enter:
-Post a photo of an Old Fashioned cocktail on Instagram or Twitter
-Must be 21 and older to enter and your social media account must be public so that your entry can be viewed
-Post anytime between June 1-14, 2019
- Head out on the Urban Bourbon Trail® – a cocktail and culinary experience highlighting Louisville’s best Bourbon bars and restaurants – during Old Fashioned Fortnight for a chance to win a limited-edition bonus gift. Participants who collect stamps at six of the more than 40 stops will receive a free Urban Bourbon Trail t-shirt, which is redeemable at the Louisville Visitor Center. In addition, during Old Fashioned Fortnight, trailblazers will receive an additional prize (an “I’d Rather Be Drinking Bourbon” water bottle).
- Take a Selfie with the “World’s Largest Old Fashioned” – Visit Evan Williams Bourbon Experience (Sixth and Main streets) to snap a photo with the colossal cocktail, which overflows with 1,264 gallons of “Bourbon” and is equivalent to 23 full barrels of Bourbon. Take the distillery tour at Evan Williams or any of the other nine urban distilleries in Louisville.
For more info about Old Fashioned Fortnight, visit OldFashionedFortnight.com.