Louisville, KY (August 28, 2017) – Six local breweries are doing their part to end youth homelessness in our community by competing in the 1st Annual Craft Beer Throwdown on Thursday, September 7th. This new event is a benefit for the Coalition for the Homeless and will be held in the Louisville Executive Aviation hangar at Bowman Field from 6:00pm – 10:00pm. For a $20 online donation in advance or $25 at the door, attendees can taste six brews made exclusively for this event and vote for a winner. The winner will receive a custom-engraved mash paddle to display at their brewery and a year’s worth of bragging rights.
The participating breweries are Great Flood Brewing Company, Monnik Beer Company, Mile Wide Beer Company, Against the Grain Brewery, Holsopple Brewing, and Falls City Brewing Company. The special beer they made exclusively for this event are:
– Falls City Brewing Company: “Y’all” – with a name that pays homage to our Kentucky roots, this beer is a bourbon barrel-aged chocolate pecan brown ale.
– Great Flood Brewing Company: Citra IPA – a balanced and citrusy beer, orange in color, with aroma of mango, orange, lime, and lemon through Citra hop dry-hopping. It also features notes of caramel by its malt bill.
– Holsopple Brewing – a Northeast IPA with a creamy yellow appearance created by interactions between hops, oat lipids, and yeast. The aroma contains hints of lemon and orange zest followed by a slight earthy pine. The oats provide a full-mouth feel while allowing the hop flavors to remain the focus throughout the sip.
– Monnik Beer Company – “Never Be Gold” – a brandy barrel-aged barleywine aged in a Copper & Kings brandy barrel for one year.
– Mile Wide Brewing – “Tuck Rule” – a soft and juicy Northeast-Style IPA, dry-hopped with Citra and Amarillo hops.
– Against the Grain Brewery will be competing with a surprise beer, because they like to keep people guessing!
The breweries will also sell some of their regular offerings at the event, with $1 of every beer sold being donated to the Coalition for the Homeless. Guests can also enjoy food from Steel City Pops, Zoom Zoom Yum, and Moe-licious BBQ, with 10% of sales going back to the Coalition. Carpooling is encouraged because parking is limited, and new Lyft users can get $5 off their first ride with the code: COALITION17.
The Craft Beer Throwdown was created by the Coalition’s Associate Board of Directors, a recently formed group of 20 volunteers who are focused on engaging young professionals with the Coalition’s efforts.
All proceeds from the Craft Beer Throwdown will go towards the Coalition’s collaborative efforts to end youth homelessness in Louisville. In January of 2017, the Coalition for the Homeless and 50 community partners created the “Louisville Plan to Prevent and End Youth Homelessness,” in an effort to address the needs of 838 homeless youth in our community.
The 1st Annual Craft Beer Throwdown is presented by Kosair Charities. To purchase tickets or get more information about the efforts of the Coalition for the Homeless in Louisville, visit www.louhomeless.org or call (502) 636-9550.
About the Coalition for the Homeless
The Coalition for the Homeless, located at 1300 S. 4th Street, Suite 250, is a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization with a mission to prevent and eliminate homelessness in Louisville. The Coalition has a three-pronged approach to this mission: advocacy, education, and coordination of their 30+ member agencies who provide a variety of services to the homeless throughout the city. For more information, visit www.louhomeless.org, call (502) 636-9550, or find The Coalition for the Homeless on Facebook at www.facebook.com/LouHomeless or on Twitter @louhomeless.