Louisville, KY. – Calling all Derby Festival foodies! Festival Fans can help pick the 2019 ‘Derby Burger’ Champion. Dozens of original recipes were submitted for the competition sponsored by the Kentucky Beef Council. Those recipes featuring 100% beef have been narrowed to the top 8 recipes. Voting is open online to help choose the final 4 burgers that will move on to the 2019 Derby Burger Challenge Cook-off. Now through March 21, fans can visit KDF.org/Beef to vote for the burger they want to see make it to the cook-off.
The top 8 Derby Burger Challenge finalists are:
- Chimichurri Churchill – Lori Poe of Mt. Sterling
- Asian BBQ Burger – Thomas Dew of Louisville
- CJ’s Peachy-Jalapeno Burger – Chris Daniels of Louisville
- Bourbon Bella Burger – Tommy Thompson of Mt. Sterling
- Beer Cheese Bacon Burger – Tereas Latiolais of Lexington
- Foto Finish Filly – Donna Gribbins of Shelbyville
- Go Big Bleu – Scott Wisdom of Louisville
- Derby Burger (Fan Burger) – created by Festival Fans via social media
All burgers must be 100 percent beef. The burger recipes are judged based on Taste, Appearance, Creativity and Ease of Preparation. The winning burger will be featured at Kroger’s Fest-a-Ville during Derby Festival and sampled at BeerFest presented by Liberty Financial. Official rules of the competition can be found online at www.kdf.org/beef. This is the ninth year for the Derby Burger competition.
The winning chef also receives VIP tickets to Thunder Over Louisville, VIP Experience at Waterfront Jam, tickets to BeerFest, as well as a $100 gift certificate to Kroger and a grilling package from Kentucky Beef Council.
Since 1956, the Derby Festival has worked to bring the community together in celebration. The Festival is an independent community organization supported by 4,000 volunteers, 400 businesses and civic groups, Pegasus Pin sponsorships and event participation. This involvement has made the Festival the largest single attended event in Kentucky and one of the leading community celebrations in the world.