Photos from Coaltion for the Homeless website.
Louisville, Ky., – Louisville’s Coalition for the Homeless is hosting its second annual #TakeAStandLou event this Thursday, Feburary 18th.
Here is the information posted on the organization’s website:
Did you know that there were 7,380 Louisvillians who were homeless at some point in 2014, including nearly 1,400 children and over 900 veterans?
Are you interested in increasing awareness about homelessness and spreading the word about how we can help our homeless neighbors?
Join us on Thursday, February 18, for our second #TakeAStandLou event. This community awareness event was created by the Coalition for the Homeless to spread awareness about homelessness in Louisville. On Thursday, 2/18/16, people across the city will hold signs showing how they are taking a stand against homelessness and inviting others to do the same.
Here’s how you can get involved:
- Fill out the form below to be added to our #TakeAStandLou list!
- Mark your calendar for our kick-off event at 5pm on Tuesday, February 16, at the Clifton Center, and find a large piece of cardboard to bring.
- Recruit a friend or a group from your school, workplace, church, or neighborhood (family members are great, too!) to join you. Together, choose a location that says something about your group: outside of your workplace, a spot in your neighborhood, or near your church.
- Take a look at this list of messages and think about which one you want to write on your sign.
- On February 16, join us for the kick-off event, where you will learn about homelessness in Louisville and local agencies working to end homelessness, and will receive postcards to distribute during #TakeAStandLou.
- On February 18, bundle up and stand outdoors around 4:30pm for 30-45 minutes or so. If anyone asks you questions, hand them a postcard and let them know you’re taking a stand for our homeless neighbors, and that they can get involved at www.louhomeless.org.
Please note: while we encourage everyone to join us at the kick-off party on 2/16, if you cannot make it, please feel free to make your own sign and just fill out the form with information regarding where you and your partner/group will be standing.