Welcome to LouisvilleKY

LouisvilleKY.com The Pulse of the City

Site design by Mr and Mrs Smith LLC www.mrandmrssmithpr.com.

Member Login
Lost your password?

WAVE Confirms Boel Joining News Team

December 19, 2011
By

WAVE-TV general manager Ken Selvaggi said today that the station has hired former WLKY-TV newsman John Boel as a reporter for its morning newscasts. He said

Boel with some of his Emmys

Boel will not be a co-anchor but has been hired as a reporter with some potential co-anchoring duties. HIs first day will be Jan. 2.

Selvaggi said he believes Boel’s knowledge of the market and experience in Kentucky and Indiana were the major reasons for the hire. “I think he has a lot to offer and that he has always done quality work. I think his best days are ahead,” he said.

Boel, who won more than 70 journalism awards in more than two decades at WLKY, was fired after being charged with a second DUI last year. He enrolled in a rehab program and this fall released a book about his experience. Boel was known for his investigative pieces at WLKY, and for participating in and reporting from Ironman competitions.

“He believes those issues are behind him and we hope that’s the case,” Selvaggi said. “Obviously it’s a daily challenge but we’re optimistic he’s put it behind him.”

Rick Redding

Rick is the entrepreneur behind LouisvilleKy.com. He’s been a world-famous blogger since thinking up The ‘Ville Voice back in 2006. Before leaving that start-up in 2009, he was voted the city’s best blogger by Louisville Magazine. LEO Readers voted his site the best independent news site in the city. In 2009 he organized a news operation at LouisvilleMojo and headed up the Local Voices blog team at WLKY.com in 2010. A long time ago, he was a beat reporter at Business First, launched business news operations in the Kiosk and Pizza industries, and wrote a media column at LEO. He’s a Louisville native and a graduate of WKU.

11 Responses to WAVE Confirms Boel Joining News Team

1. Maggi Bopp on December 19, 2011 at 4:05 pm

Congratulations, John. “Their” loss Is WAVE’S gain. My prayers are for your good health and another bright future in broadcasting.

2. DB on December 19, 2011 at 4:46 pm

Best of luck to Mr Boel! I wish him nothing but the best

3. Jo-an on December 19, 2011 at 5:43 pm

So glad he’s coming back

4. Margaret A. Marks on December 19, 2011 at 6:29 pm

I wish Mr. Boel the best of luck, with his new position. I believe he is a talented reporter.
    Glad WAVE decided to hire him.

5. Cindy Lamb on December 19, 2011 at 8:44 pm

All in good time. This is great news for Louisville.

6. KS on December 19, 2011 at 10:09 pm

I so respect Mr. Salvaggi’s decision to hire John Boel that I will now start watching Wave.

7. Jim Bruenderman on December 19, 2011 at 11:07 pm

I recently met John and I must say that I am now a big fan of his. Not only has he tackled his problems head on, he helps others do the same while asking nothing in return. To those people who don’t John I say “quite judging someone before you get to know them.” I am proud to call John one of my friends and I look forward to his work on WAVE3. His best days are truly ahead of him and I applaud WAVE3 for having the guts to give John a shot at getting back to what he does best. It’s long overdue. Congrats John!

8. Cathy McCarty Hendrix on December 20, 2011 at 8:42 am

Congratulations John! Kudos to WAVE. It’s always great to hear when someone rises above perhaps their greatest life challenge and takes on the next phase in their life. All the best and we will be tuning in!

9. Sue Hankla on December 20, 2011 at 9:54 am

Congratulations John! This is great news for you, for WAVE and for Louisville. I wish you the best!!!!

10. Fish on December 20, 2011 at 4:29 pm

This man risked the lives of countless innocent people who knows how many times. Only a year later a local station doesn’t even think twice about hiring him. That makes me mad.

11. virginia Woodford on February 28, 2014 at 1:31 am

John you are a great new man.